Jennifer and I still can't arrive at a baby name...however we had a recent name that made a short but powerful run. The name is Gaelic, and the Gaey's as we all know have a long and illustrious history. We know something of our own ancestry and heritage and realize very little of it has to do with being a'Gaey. What both Jennifer and I really liked was that the name was very rare for girls and was more commonly a surname. The name didn't even show up on the 1000 most popular names in the US.
Now that the suspense is so thick you could cut it with a knife...the name we have been considering is, "Delaney" There seems to be, however, some confusion about the meaning of the name. The meaning couldn't be more dynamic. The meanings range from, "Dark" to "heaven" to more of an attitude, "defiance" or possibly a personage, "angel" or," decendant of the challenger." I am speculating here, but does anyone else think of, "the adversary" when trying to think of what, "the challenger" refers to?
We were still willing to see the glass half full with the information and knowledge we had regarding, the more than likely, overanylizing the name of your child. (see freakonomics chapter "i don't know because I am not willing to get up" In a nutshell a guy names 2 of his sons Winner and Loser. Guess which one turns out to be the winner in the end.) The name also led us to reading about a grove of trees...Alder trees. My first thought was a positive one. I thought of things like Joseph Smith, elven cities, and my childhood among other things. However, there are other uses for groves of trees. Lets brainstorm shall we? Hmmm what else can one do in a grove of trees? I think of running around naked basking in the moonlight of an Alder grove making a brew of some kind whilst performing a dance. The Alder tree just happens to be one of the sacred trees of witchcraft. The tree is great in wet environments and can make red dye. The tree itself has a number of useful purposes. I wish any of those purposes or qualities could erase the impact of having read the witchcraft stuff. Oh and the trunk of the tree may conceal the fairy realm.
Hopefully I haven't wasted too much of your time, and should you come across another notable girl name do tell the history...then again, what's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
The end
~ Josh
No comments:
Post a Comment