Adam, I found your post very interesting. Pioneer Day here is not a day off, so it doesn't feel so much like a holiday. I associate it with firesides and BYUTV specials about pioneers as well as youth treks. I think that is just the difference between Utah's version of celebrating Pioneer Day and the "other" Mormons who don't get the day off. On Sunday, sacrament meeting had a pioneer theme in honor of Pioneer Day.
I also found your reaction to a day off in the middle of the week interesting. It was the opposite of my reaction when I worked in an office. Instead of a feeling of one long week it always felt like to really short weeks. I'm sure it wouldn't feel like that if it happened all the time, though. And my days off were national holidays, so everyone had them off. Right now I'm enjoying setting my own schedule for work.
I also was quite interested in a few other things you said. Stephen is always working on the design for our dream home. He often comes to me with a new design or a change to a previous version asking for my input. We really like working on our dream home. Stephen has also worked with that drafting program from Google and while he likes the free aspect, it is difficult to work with. He also likes all the downloads of model on the internet with the program and that it is transferable to CAD.
We also often look at land for sale. Sigh. It is a dream for us right now, too, but that doesn't mean we can't look! It's fun to try to find the "perfect" piece of land, which includes enough land for us to grow our own food (sound familiar?), raise some animals, and have some water rights on our property. Also, not having a house already build on it would be great. Then we can have a clean slate to build our house! Solar and wind power are also something in our "dream plan".
Our 72 hour kit could use some work, but I have been working on our food storage. Thanks for the interesting post! It always amazes me how much the "brothers" have in common even though they are all very different.
Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment